BASF needed to prepare future leaders in 17 countries for critical leadership roles amidst changing business requirements and a competitive market landscape. The Asia Pacific Programme for Leadership Excellence (APPLE) development programme is an award-winning three-module leadership programme including immersive leadership challenges, VUCA diagnostic tools and a competitive strategy workshop.
The programme aims to enhance participants' leadership capabilities and capacities, equipping them with the self-confidence and capability to have a strategic perspective, be agile, embrace change, foster innovation and coach teams to achieve high performance. The programme enables participants to:
- Reflect on how to manage complexity, both internally and externally
- Understand BASF challenges, their market and competitors
- Explore strategic approaches to managing change
- Develop the capacity to demonstrate leadership behaviour in challenging situations
The three-module leadership programme incorporates innovative and challenging projects, along with in the moment coaching to provide 1:1 feedback and reflective follow-up based on the participants’ behaviour. Key elements include:
VUCA Q ® - an action-orientated diagnostic tool designed to inform, equip and guide leadership action.
War Games - a competitive strategy workshop where participants analyse BASF from the perspective of their competitors.
Immersive Leadership Challenges - uses a combination of real-life and fictional issues to create high-pressure, complex simulations.
The overall APPLE Development programme was recognised at the 2016 HR Excellence Awards, with a Silver award for Excellence in Leadership Development.
- 100% would recommend this programme to others
- 86% agreed that the programme objectives were achieved
- 100% agreed the level of instruction is just right
- 100% agreed instruction methods are very effective
- Overall programme rating: 4.71 of a 5 point scale