Accelerating leadership at Education in Motion
The Accelerate programme is a 12- month, multi-modular leadership programme for middle leaders at Education in Motion schools throughout China, Singapore, Seoul, South Korea and Myanmar.
The programme is designed to challenge participants to increase self- awareness, drive a high performance culture and inspire others towards excellence. It enables participants to learn about and spend time in other schools throughout the group.
The programme exposes middle leaders to the wider organisation, as well as to other leaders in equivalent roles, in order to provide opportunities for networking and inspiration. This was the first development programme that enabled a diverse cohort of people from Western and Asian cultures to work together. This was an important step for Education in Motion to take in their mission to encourage curiosity and diversity of thought in their students, and to provide staff with the opportunity to learn together, not just work together.
Education in Motion aims to build the best schools in the world. To do this, they wanted to harness the interpersonal leadership skills that their middle leaders had as educators, and provide them with the mindset shift needed in order to apply these skills to adults, transforming them from being leaders of students to being leaders of the organisation.
The objectives of the programme were for all participants to:
- Gain and build skills, knowledge and experience that will support their role as an impactful leader.
- Develop and build meaningful relationships across DCI.
- Collaborate, learn from and contribute to learning and continuous development with peers, colleagues and leadership across the group.
- Lead an action research project tied to the college or school improvement plan that will make a measurable and positive difference to the college or school.
The solution combines three face-to-face three-day modules, 1:1 coaching sessions and a dynamic action research project.
The programme is highly experiential and integrates a range of learning opportunities, real school challenges, immersive leadership challenges, tiered development centres, coaching and scenario-based situations. Deep reflection is part of the learning philosophy of Education in Motion, and is a key part of the programme as many don’t have time to practise it day-to-day.
- Module 1: Leading Self – Leadership theory; defining the personal journey; and self-awareness, including how personal preferences, styles and biases impact and influence individual relationships and team dynamics.
- Module2: Leading Others– Developing and motivating a high-performing team; valuing and empowering people; conflict management; enabling a coaching culture; and communication styles.
- Module 3: Leading to Realise the Vision – Change management and DCI’s ‘Our Pioneering Spirit: Driving and Leading Change’.
The partnership won a coveted Brandon Hall silver award for best advance in leadership development.
Additionally, the diversity of college locations, methodologies and participants all resulted in the following exceptional results:
79% Net Promoter Score
93% state that the content will benefit their personal development
88% anticipate that Education in Motion will also benefit
'What Impact really brought to the table was the human element. They really listened to what we wanted, and every time we posed a problem or had a question, instead of getting frustrated, they were excited by it! That attitude is the attitude we want for our staff and our students.' - Michelle Stroman, Director of Professional Learning