Community sustainability at the heart of learning with Lendlease
Lendlease is an international property and infrastructure group with core expertise in shaping cities and creating strong and connected communities. Founded over 60 years ago, Lendlease is headquartered in Sydney, with employees located in four operating regions: Australia, Europe, the Americas and Asia.
A multi-award winning, flagship global development program that brings community sustainability to the heart of individual learning.
Sustainability at Lendlease is all about people:
“Companies must start justifying their worth to society, with greater emphasis
placed on environmental and social impact rather than straight economics.” Dick Dusseldorp, Founder of Lendlease (1973).
This approach to business underpins everything that Lendlease touch and is at the heart of the 'Springboard' program.
Lendlease Foundation is an internal business unit established in 1983 for the development and benefit of Lendlease employees. ‘Springboard’ was launched in 1998 as the Foundation’s flagship global program.
Impact Australia was chosen to redesign the Springboard programme in 2008 and again in 2014 to ensure it was meeting business, economic and social needs. Impact has specifically aligned the program with the Lendlease Foundation core principles:
- Enrich the lives of employees and their families
- Aid charities and communities where they have an involvement
- Inspire interest in the activities of Lendlease
Springboard is a five-day personal development programme. Participants spend two days learning about their strengths and reflecting on their personal goals, and two days working with a community partner. We run 8 Springboard programs during a given year. During this time we work with a community partner on six, long term, individual projects. Our participants, in collaboration with the local community participants, manage the community projects to completion over the course of the year.
Impact’s design has:
- Redeveloped a much-loved global program to incorporate health and wellbeing, personal development and community involvement.
- Created a sustainable and enriching personal development experience with real activities and consequences.
- Supported community partners’ sustainable development by building their skills, knowledge and confidence and to leave a positive legacy in a community.
Enriching lives: (measured pre and six- weeks post-program)
- Physical health: increased by 24%
- Mental wellbeing: increased by 25%
- Management of stress: increased by 56%
- Work/life balance: increased by 70%
94.8% will apply what they learned in their personal life
92.7% will apply what they learned in their professional life
Aiding communities: Between 2008-2013, we completed 41 community projects through almost 3,000 employee days.
Inspiring interest: (measured pre and three-weeks post-program)
97% agree Lendlease is committed to employee development (up 45%)
95% view Lendlease positively (up 33%)
92% are committed to Lendlease (up 23%)
Statistics based on survey results from participants from 2008-2015. Total respondents = 1135