Creating inclusivity through leadership action
Play Proud is a leadership, network and coach-centred training programme developed by Common Goal. It aims to promote inclusion and safe spaces for LGBTQ+ youth and adults, enabling them to be themselves on and off the pitch.
- Create LGBTQ+ curricula and policies that can be used by organisation leaders and coaches to make programmes, organisations, and ultimately, communities more inclusive.
- Build capacity of grassroots organisations to be able to incorporate the methodology into their programmes through training the first generation of Play Proud coaches.
- Roll out a Play Proud Playbook to guide organisations’ facilitation of open and safe football programmes, regardless of gender identity or sexual orientation.
- Develop a strong network of Play Proud coaches who can exchange ideas and promote collaboration.
The programme focuses on empowering organisation leaders and sports coaches through activities covering leadership skills and tools, coaching inclusion methodologies, influencing change, and knowledge acquisition on discrimination towards LGBTQ+ communities. It equips participants with a Play Proud toolkit, empowering them to create inclusivity through leadership action.
Participants also design and implement local action learning projects designed to increase inclusivity and be a catalyst for concrete change.
- 22 organisations engaged in 8 countries.
- 406,950 youth indirectly impacted by Play Proud programming.
- 100% completion rate.
- 100% of participants feel they are more knowledgeable about gender identity and sexual orientation.
- 100% of participants feel they are more knowledgeable about the challenges that the LGBTQ+ community face in sport.