Leadership Development at Newton
Newton, a UK-based specialist in operational improvement, partnered with Impact to develop the leadership capacity of their business managers.
The Leadership Development Programme (LDP) is an award-winning, custom-designed, three-module development journey for business managers at Newton.
The programme supports participants in developing and deepening their capacity to provide emotionally intelligent leadership action that will foster the sustainable development and growth of Newton’s people and business, maintaining the unique high-performance culture.
A consultancy themselves, Newton appreciated the consultative approach that Impact brought to the solution development process for the Leadership Development Programme. We used our consulting framework, ‘Solution Mapping’ to deeply understand the business change outcomes that Newton was looking to achieve through the LDP and focus our experiential approach toward each specific goal.
The objective of this programme is to build a network of ‘ready now’ leaders with the capabilities and confidence to lead at the next level.
The programme aims to develop leadership capacity in relation to leading self, leading others and leading the business. There is a relentless emphasis on experiential and pragmatic learning that challenges participants to examine their leadership practice in alignment with the unique culture at Newton.
In their exploration of leadership, participants develop:
- A greater propensity to take leadership action.
- Deep insights into the values and principles that drive their approach and their personal impact.
- A mindful and participatory approach to leadership.
- Commercial and strategic leadership insight.
- The confidence and drive to challenge the direction of the business.
The solution combines powerful face-to-face leadership development modules, 1:1 coaching and inter-modular activity. This includes video diaries, meetings with stakeholders, 360 feedback, reading, research and participation in Impact’s bespoke team feedback tool (TPI©).
Prior to the first meeting participants have 1:1 coaching to focus in on personal challenges and aspirations.
- Module 1 – ‘Leading Self’ Participants undertake an enquiry into the nature of leadership through a series of ‘experiences’ designed to bust leadership myths, encourage critical reflection and to consider the role of leadership and business in society.
- Module 2 – ‘Leading Others’ The focus is on making the shift from brilliant individual problem solver to facilitating the engagement, autonomy, growth and creativity in others. Experiences range from Impact’s TPI tool to working with primary school students.
- Module 3 – ‘Leading Newton’ Strategic and commercial dilemmas, stepping into the shoes of competitors and an Immersive Leadership Challenge are combined in this module – which acts as the capstone for the entire programme, linking together all threads and themes.
- 91% of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that they gained useful insights and learning.
- 88% of respondents agreed or strongly agreed that they will be able to apply what they learned back at work.
- 100% of respondents would recommend the Leadership Development Programme to a colleague.
The success of the programme was recognised at the Training Journal Awards 2018, where it was announced as the Gold Winner in the Leadership Development Programme category.