Developing managers at EMC
EMC is the market leader in data and information management solutions. Impact Italia's work with EMC to develop 'Leaders for the Future' consisted of a succession plan development programme, after which 20% of the participants achieved a top management position within six months.
EMC had undergone a large organisational change process involving the recruitment of key talent from outside their company.
With a new structure in place, EMC wanted to secure their ‘Succession Plan’ with a talent development programme for their top managers.
Impact Italia were asked to design and deliver a programme for this talent pool that would engage new and old employees, leverage internal knowledge and drive the business forward. Acting as a shadow team to the existing board the participants must:
- Develop the ability to act as an integrated and coordinated top team.
- Develop a strong business mind-set coupled with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Maintain high levels of personal enthusiasm, motivation and self-engagement.
Impact worked with key stakeholders throughout the process; initially working in close relation with the HR Director and the Board to establish a set of expected leadership behaviours that are required to be an effective member of the Italian Board Team.
The behavioural skills identified formed the design and delivery methods of Impact’s eight-month programme that included:
1. Modules focusing on specific leadership behaviours:
- Leading Self: An experiential development centre to promote self-awareness.
- Leading Teams: Through live and deferred group activities.
- Leading Business: Through a highly challenging and strategic business assignment facilitated by Impact.
2. Inputs, methodologies and stretch development experiences designed to help participants operate outside of their comfort zone, all supported by team and individual coaching sessions
3. Continuous involvement, challenge and engagement from EMC Senior Managers’ to support the programme’s visibility and credibility.
“For us, the first important result is that 20% of the programme participants had achieved a Top Management position within six months. Furthermore all participants have developed a new cooperative way of working thus helping the company to overcome interdepartmental barriers. We really appreciate Impact’s flexibility as well as their ability to manage a complex programme following both individual and organisational needs.”
Nicola Pozatti, HR Director, EMC