Barclays UK Retail Banking (UKRB) serves more than 15 million individual and business customers with current and savings accounts, mortgages, insurance, loans, credit cards and investment products. Barclays UKRB wanted to cut external recruitment costs and improve promotional prospects for a specific tier within their middle management population.
Barclays’ Talent Management Process clearly identified a number of behavioural skill gaps. Managers were technically high performing, but they needed to demonstrate increased leadership capability to prove they were ready for promotion.
Impact designed an Emerging Leaders programme (ELP) to develop these managers into transformational leaders. Development requirements included:
- Leadership action that gets results
- Ownership of development
- Management of self and others
- Building, leading and coaching a team
- Personal effectiveness
The ELP has positively impacted on Barclays UKRB, drastically improving the participants’ day-to-day leadership performance:
- 100% integrated the learning into their day-to-day business activity
- 97% state team productivity has improved
- 92% state team engagement has improved