Impact is committed to delivering high quality programmes, which have a minimal negative effect upon the environments we work in. Our environmental objectives and targets are set at management level with an aim for continuous environmental improvement.
Our policy within the UK includes:
- Compliance with, and wherever possible exceeding, environmental legislation and local users agreements.
- Environmental Impact Assessments of all current hazardous activities.
- A commitment to reduce pollution and carbon emissions.
- Management of waste products including the reduction, re-use and recycling of all possible materials and supplies.
- Use of energy efficient methods wherever possible.
- Integration of environmental objectives into the management of our activities.
- Annual reviews and reporting of environmental policies and practices.
- Transport strategies for both fleet vehicles and powerboat use.
Impact have been signatories to the UNGC since 2005. Each year we produce a report, which demonstrates how we are progressing against the 10 principles that underpin the initiative. These principles include human rights, labour standards, anti corruption and the environment.
In May 2017 we formed a new cross-functional team that has helped to drive new projects and initiatives. All current work and areas for improvement have been identified and aligned to the relevant Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Goal 7 - Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy
Impact's biggest negative effect on the environment is from greenhouse gas emissions produced mainly from energy consumption and transport. Impact can reduce this by adopting renewable energy, using more energy efficient appliances, lessening our use of fossil fuels and using cleaner transport.
Goal 12 - Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
Impact can help to achieve this goal by reducing our consumption, reusing or donating items, avoiding the use of hazardous products, recycling as much possible and reducing the amount we send to landfill.
Goal 14 - Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources
Although Impact does not have a direct effect on the oceans, we can still help achieve this goal by supporting initiatives like the boycott of disposable plastics.
Goal 15 - Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss
Impact can help achieve this goal by supporting organisations such as the ethical tea partnership, rainforest alliance and RSPO sustainable palm oil. We are also lucky enough to have an area of woodland on our site and employ a woodland estate manager.